[meteorite-list] 'Plutons' Push Planet Total Up To 12

From: Larry Lebofsky <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Aug 16 14:31:00 2006

Hi Darren:

I promised myself to not be the one to send out a dozen emails on a subject,
but I seem to be breaking my own promise.

I do not have the information in front of me, but will attempt to contact the
person who knows the answer. (how big of an object can still be "out there" and
not detected)

What happens when you find something that is say the size of the Moon or just a
little smaller than Mercury at the outer edges of the Kuiper Belt. This is not
out of the question. What do you call it then? Just say too bad we have 9 (or 8
planets) and that is life? Science is not done that way it is dynamic and
things do change. Granted my example with the Earth-centered system was going
too far (I admit when I am wrong). When Archaea were first discovered, did
biologists ignor them because they did not fit into the existing Eukaryota and
Bacteria scheme? You need to be able to classify things and be willing to
quantify classifications so that new discoveries can fit into these (or you
create a new class).

Saying that this is just the "opinion" of a group of astronomers shows a
disrespect for astronomy as a science. Yes, you can have your own opinion.
However, a lot of time and thought and research went into this proposal. It is
more than just an opinion. It is solidly based on observation and the physical
nature of the objects in our Solar System and other objects that are likely to
be found in the future. Is is perfect? Probably not. But it is necessary.

Larry