[meteorite-list] 'Plutons' Push Planet Total Up To 12

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Aug 16 17:24:51 2006

Hi, Chris, List,

    Actually, the IAU does have the authority, beyond the support of
every working scientist in the field. The IAU was founded in 1918/9 to
clear up a horrific mess of everybody naming the SAME Lunar and
Martian features with their own choice of names, so that you had to
refer to "the crater Prof. X calls Backscat and Prof. Y calls Gribniz
but Prof. Z calls Tinkerbelle" for anyone to know what feature you're
talking about.

    Under a whole array of International Treaties, most of which
the US is signatory to, they are designated to be the official arbiter
of this and that, so many times and in so many treaties, that their
authority is virtually statutory. For example, the GPS timing would
be impossible with the geodetic-celestial coordinate transfer, which
they defined and implemented. Would you like to be flying around
the world and have the GPS system change at every national border?
No thanks. The list of things they do that are essential and absolutely
necessary is very long.

    They're not the Acad?mie Fran?aise; they're a lot more
authoritative! All the Acad?mie Fran?aise does is try to bully
the French into talking like it's the eighteenth century. Prithee,
what harm in that, sirrah? And while I like to tease them,
like any European French Model bureaucracy, they do a
huge service and this nomenclature debate is actually quite
a unique and rare return to their roots in the midst of all the
snazzy things they do. (Did I just call them "snazzy"?)

    And the ordinary users of English are common-sense
people; they're not going use names for things that are not
common to all listeners and other talkers. If most people
call Ceres a planet, after a while everybody will. I predict
that in 2015, when the highly detailed images flow back from
the Dawn Mission and a new and strange and fascinating
world unfolds, everybody will be talking about the "planet"
Ceres.

    I think of it as "Dangerfield's World." It don't get no
respect. But that'll change.

Sterling K. Webb