[meteorite-list] 'Plutons' Push Planet Total Up To 12

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Aug 16 17:46:12 2006

No, they don't have the authority to redefine words that are in common
usage and found in ordinary dictionaries. That is quite different from
defining the proper name of bodies, craters, etc. Their definitions are
more akin to recommendations than anything binding; I can quite legally
call any astronomical object anything I want; of course, it probably
won't be accepted by many!

In this case, what they are actually doing is overloading the word
"planet". That is, they are creating a new definition in addition to
those already in use. As a rule, I think overloading words in this way
is a bad idea since it is likely to lead to confusion. IMO the wise
thing to do would be to worry about the subcategories, which are what
really matter (e.g. terrestrial body, icy body, gas giant, etc). The
parent category of all these probably doesn't need a rigorously defined
name at all, but if given one should be something other than "planet".
In any case such bodies lie along a continuum of spherocity, barycenter
location, etc; attempting a rigorous definition of something that is
probably not definable is just asking for trouble.

One of the goals of creating nomenclature should be to avoid breaking
things to the greatest extent possible. If this proposal is adopted, it
breaks countless books and publications. On the other hand, adopting a
new word to describe the sort of bodies we think of as "planets" would
break very little; new publications would simply be a little more
precise than older ones. Definitions should be backwards compatible!

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com