[meteorite-list] 'Plutons' Push Planet Total Up To 12

From: Larry Lebofsky <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Aug 16 18:15:39 2006

Chris:

So what are these things that are being discovered around other stars? Clearly
not planets! As someone else has said, do you go back to the 5 original
planets? Earth does not "wander" through the sky, so is it a planet based on
the "original" difinition of a planet? Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto are visible
to the naked eye. When it was determined that the Earth went around the Sun,
then we redefined a planet from its ancient meaning of wandering star (which
they are not).

There is nothing wrong with having a scientific definition for an otherwise
common word.

Closer to home, who gave the authority for the METSOC to classify meteorites,to
name them, or to create new classes of meteorites? You need some sort of
control. You need some authority in a position to make a scientific decision as
to how something is classified (how it formed, where it came from) based on
existing and new information. At one point, it was thought that all meteorites
came from asteroids (that was a definition if you want look at it that way),
but with new information, scientists determined that there were meteorites from
the Moon and Mars - they changed the definition of meteorite.

The above may seem silly to you, but one does not have to create new scientific
words just because a word has a narrow meaning in general use.

You could also create your own star charts, give stars and constellations their
own names, sell the names of stars, but it would not be recognized by the
authority that is recognized to do this: the IAU. You could do the same for
meteorites.

--
Dr. Larry A. Lebofsky
Senior Research Scientist