[meteorite-list] What is this lunar crater?

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Aug 23 00:07:49 2006

Hi all -

As Bess taught Harry to say, "Horse Manure".

Schultz has replied to Melosh several times, and will
do so again. Schultz et al have conducted several more
field expeditions to Rio Cuarto, with further analysis
of samples.

The Maya were quite specific about what hit - "GI",
"GII", "GIII", and where it hit - "Matawil". You can
add another comet sample to the list. See "Man and
Impact in the Americas" for a full presentation -
though the resultant climate collapse at 2360 BCE as
shown by tree rings came in too late for inclusion in
my book. I left out Canyon de Cielo at 2325 BCE,
which also hit at "Matawil".

What this Multi-National Geographic piece is is more
crappy impact science by PR, the kind I've come to
expect from NASA.

Its nice to see NASA finally admitting to tangential
impacts though. Change comes slowly. I wonder what
year NASA will start to feature tangential impacts
identified as such in either the MGS or MOd pictures
of the week.

good hunting,
Ed

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/SP-362/ch5.2.htm