[meteorite-list] Re: Entry Burn [was Lunar Burn]

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Aug 23 01:18:10 2006

Hi Chris, list

I have seen two entrie. I believe I posted the first
one to the list, and it was green - at the time I was
in Virgina, and the entry was so green I first thought
that it either had to be

a)an accidental launch warhead entry
(which I stopped thinking when nothing exploded), or
b) a piece of space junk.

But it was neither, if I remember the news reports
from the time - no space junk announcement from NORAD,
and press pieces (as always, of dubious reliability)
that it was a meteorite.

The second entry I saw about early December, 2003. It
should have been over Ohio, I was driving west thtough
the Winchester Gap. No green tinge at all on this
one, just big.

I like Elton's observation that it is probably the
nickel. This agrees well with the recently observed
entries of small pieces of SW3.

good hunting,
Ed