[meteorite-list] Stan's NWA 2965 EL6/7 and achondrite vschondrite

From: stan . <laser_maniac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 23:32:06 +0000

Mark,
>Would it not be fair to say it is an EL6/7 with EL3 clasp material and most
>of the material is the EL6/7? I have made a comment or two on this before,
>recently with Dimmitt, that I do think it is right to give a meteorite with
>more then one petro type the 3 number, when it is not the dominating
>matrix.

I may be speaking past the bounds of my (VERY) limited knowledge of
petrology - but just because material is a high percentage of matrix does
NOT automatically mean it was subject to a high degree of metamorpisism.
matrix is not (always) the result of decomposition of chondrules - but
rather can condense directly out of the early solar system - that is why you
can have a type 3.1 that has much more matrix visible than a 3.7

>>Interesting, I would have guessed along with the Moroccan dealers.
>Especially since you do not see the oxidized metal veining in the lighter
>material. Maybe I should run my large slice under water for a couple
>days...;^)

lol, i hope you have a million years worth of patience.
aparently the reason why there is no veining int he blue material is because
the metal has all been leached out of the matrix. some of the stones show a
dark rind ont he outside that make up the remants of whatever metal the
material contained. doesnt seem to make much sense since the inside of the
blue material often times looks very fresh - but thats the latest word i
have thus far...

here's to hoping the the next time the latest word from the science guys
changes on this stone it will be because they have decided it's from venus!
:)