[meteorite-list] Lunar Leonid Strikes

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 18:10:25 -0600

Hi, List,

> "Our best models of the lunar meteoroid
> environment predict a much lower rate -
> only 25% of what we are actually seeing."
> The problem may be with the computer models:
> "They're based on observations of meteors
> in the skies of Earth," and those data may not
> translate well to the Moon.

    Replace the phrase "those data may not
translate well to the Moon" with the phrase
"those data are flawed and worthless."

    The standard data is still the MORP figure
of 23,800 meteors (between 10 and 1000 grams)
per year. Back in 2000, I posted to the List a
new methodology for calculating the flux of rocks,
with four different ways of applying it, and all of
them produced an extimated spacerock flux of
3 to 4 times the MORP figure, or 80,000 to
100,000 rocks per annum.

    Giving credit: In the ensuing discussion, Rob
Matson also estimated a high flux (from ground
studies, I believe) and suggested that 100,000 to
120,000 was more likely.

    Getting my shave from Mr. Occam, the simplest
explanation of the observation of four times as many
meteoroids hitting the Moon as is predicted by bad
data from the Earth is that the data from Earth is
dead wrong and that there ARE four times as many
meteoroids (at least) than the bad data says.

    I say "at least" because there is no reason to think
these observations (nor any observations) have a 100%
perfect data recovery rate (MORP obviously did not),
so the "likely" rate is 4+ more than the 23,800 figure,
or north of 100,000.

    And please don't think I'm just bad-mouthing the
MORP project of long ago, a pioneering effort whose
results have stood because few carried on that kind of
search and research as they should have. The question
is why would their optically determined rate have been
so fractional of the reality?

    I'm just starting to think about that. More "dark"
(or slow) objects? More small objects? More objects from
less detectable directions? A different time distribution
than they assumed? Poorer detection limits?

> every 4 hours they observe the Moon,
> they see one bright flash caused
> by the impact of a large meteoroid...

    They don't say HOW large but at "normal" impact
speeds (Leonids are faster) that would have to be a
100 gram rock and probably bigger. The "four hour"
figure for the Moon would translate to a "big rock"
rate for the Earth of 40,000 "big rocks" per year.
(The range of sizes in the rate figure of 100,000+
is from 10 to 1000 gram.)

    Assuming a power law distribution for 10 to 1000
grams, the total would be: 100-1000 gram rocks = 40,000
and 10 to 100 gram rocks = 125,000, for a total flux of
165,000 spacerocks per year for the Earth. (If by "large"
they mean 60 gram and up, the rate would be about
125,000.)

    One more chunk of evidence to a picture that all
adds up to a greater "space rock" flux for Earth
than is generally believed.

Sterling K. Webb