[meteorite-list] New Kansas Meteorite (Quiz) and H4 chondrites

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 02 Dec 2006 17:11:54 UT

Hello Jerry, Mark, Greg and List,

What a beautiful H4 chondrite!
Gorgeous thumbprinted fusion crust!
Sincere congratulations to all those involved!

Moni asked: "When will you find out how old it is?"
This surely sounds like an invitation to another quiz ;-)

So my take is: it is so fresh that it must have fallen within the last 4 months!

Well, speaking of H4 chondrites:

There are 17 different H4 chondrites and 5 H4 thin sections in my collection.
While most of them are inherently chondrule-rich, one of them is a real "sea
of chondrules" - it is a NWA from Greg Hup? that is chockful of chondrules of
different types with radiating pyroxene chondrules slightly more abundant than
the other chondrule types. With a TKW of only 118 gr, there were only a few
specimens on EBay and I am glad I purchased a complete slice and an endcut of
NWA 4443. Maybe other collectors who acquired something of that H4 would like
to "chime in" and tell us about their specimens.

H4-ly yours,

Bernd