[meteorite-list] wot we need....

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 09:18:19 -0000

Hi,

Good idea, to have a single meteorite auction site that [everyone] uses, but my only thoughts on this would be, how exactly would you be able to define 'an honest dealer'? - if you would rely purely on the ebay style 'feedback system' then that's been done - so why not just better filter your search results on ebay?

Who would you allow into the forum and who would you not? - Surely if you let just anyone sell in this alternative sales place, it would end up like another ebay, only quieter, alternatively if you only let the big players in then the prices would remain high and I doubt the bargains would appear, so people probably would stick with ebay!

what you need is volume of material being sold at once, that's what creates bargain (and thus more people using it), when someone sells 20 slices of the same fall on eBay, and only 10 people want any - that's when a bargain can be had!

All actions depend on 'who's in the room' at the end of the day so lots of people looking is what you would need to make it a success.

Good idea though, and I agree Ebay has become diluted with tat, (but caution - some of that tat is just like what we used to buy when we first started out!).

Mark