[meteorite-list] Fusion Crust on Irons

From: MexicoDoug <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 14:16:56 -0500

Hey Gary. No problem, that's my best answer but I'm sure others with other
points of view could add a lot of complementary information. I should have
mentioned, too, that the nice black magnetite that developes on the surfaces
of irons in meteorite-friendly desert environments is often called 'fusion
crust'. That is not exactly the same as the fresh stuff - that is more like
the desert varnish for an iron loosely said. The good thing about it is
that it serves to seal naturally in the rest of the meteorite by forming an
alread oxidized and thus inert protective skin. That's great to have anyway
and whether someone is over zealous to call it fusion crust or not. Too bad
it has to be cut to appreciate on small pieces.

In Marcin's case, though, he argues that you can see flow lines. This is
where it gets semantic. I'd just agree with him since he's absolutely right
that they were caused in the fusion even. But, I would temper (!) that with
the knowledge that they may be mineralized and compositionally just a
reminder of what they once were. Still, sounds superbe to have that on a
5000 year old iron meteorite, by any name!

Martin at Chladni Hairs have a beautiful Boguslavka Iron (a witnessed fall)
which has a thick melted skin, so it would be nice to hear from them about
how that fits into my limited try at this (maybe it was exposed to something
hot in space, ie got close to the Sun, and as Larry Lebovsky will be quick
to point out, radiative heating can be brutal and cause asteroid skins. I
just don't know how that could survive in tact throughout entry...

Best wishes, Doug