[meteorite-list] Fusion Crust on Irons

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 10:23:44 -0600

John asked "Does anyone besides me believe that many of the Sikhote-Alin
irons have
been "doctored" to look better than they really are?"

Yes, I would say most experienced collectors understand they have been
doctored. Also, it appears to me the doctoring about five years ago, when
Sikhotes were still $3-4 a gram, was much better then the doctoring I have
seen the last three years. The newer prepared pieces will often start having
their "crust" chip off before you bright them home.

"I've seen pictures of some of these beautiful specimens right out of the
ground and they are pretty rusty."

A piece of iron left on the ground in region that commonly snows becomes
covered in rust within a few years. Sikhote-Alin fell over 50 years.

Collectors should not let this frustrate them. Just think, how many irons
do you have in your collection. Now how many of them are falls? It took 50
years before Sikhote's started appearing on the market in mass, and from
what I have seen, the days of mass Sikhote's are pretty much over. Russia
has really cracked down on the export of meteorites. We are lucky to have
had the chance to pick up a pieces at prices they have been available

I like the button shaped ones...

http://www.meteoritearticles.com/colsikhoteheats1.html

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick