[meteorite-list] Geminid Meteor Shower

From: Gary K. Foote <gary_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 06:20:08 -0500

Last night it was cloudy, but this morning, as I crossed the compound to the main
building it was 4AM. In the 30 seconds it took to cross I saw three Geminids. After
getting warmer clothing on I went back outside and watched for about 5 minutes. In that
time I saw a good dozen or so. All of them were very white. Most had short trains, but
one must have crossed 45 degrees of sky, slow but still bright white. Then the fog rose
from the river and the sky was blanked out.

Last week, before the official start of the shower, I saw the longest trained meteoroid
ever. Crossing nearly the whole dome of the sky before burning out. Fantastic!

Gary in New Hampshire Mountains