[meteorite-list] 2007 Peoples Choice Harvey Award Nominee

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 12:37:49 -0600

Michael and fellow list members,

     "The Harvey Awards are at the discretion of their founders, Geoff
Notkin and Steve Arnold. The ONLY exception was when last year people "rose
up" and demanded that they, themselves receive the award for their estimable
and unquestionable contributions to the meteorite world.
      If I am right (and, as my wife daily reminds me, I am often wrong)
then The Harvey Awards are and should be solely at the discretion of Geoff
and Steve. Therefore, any such nomination should have been made directly
(and privately) to them."

     Your an honest fun person passionate about meteorites Michael, however
I wish you would have checked the archives, before making this e-mail, which
sort of cast a cloud over me. I still love you Michael. (In a cool
meteorite dude sort of way...of course).
     Now moving along....please say hello to Angel for me. (That's Michael's
wife for the dozen or so that didn't know).
     You are correct...for the most part. The Harvey Awards are the
discretion of the founders. It even says that on the award
certificates...along with a few other zappy comments. Those that have
attended the parties are now hearing those zappy comments in their head in
Geoff's voice (or at least I am.)
     First, How could it be a People?s Choice award, it was just me talking
with Geoff or Steve? Many give me a lot of credit for the things I have
done, and perhaps, more then I deserve?but I am not a people. I only weigh
like 125 lbs. By default I am only one?or maybe ? of a person. (But a very
big ??;^) The nature of the award, makes it public and all I did was
nominate. But I think you can say the people again, ?rose up and demanded.?

     Looking through the January 2006 archives, Greg Hupes came up with the
People's Choice Award ideal. A good share of thread developed so please go
check the archives if you wish. I will use this paragraph instead to thank
Greg for his great ideal and give him proper credit.
     Here is Greg's comment 1-24-2006 comment: "I know that Geoff and Steve
originally set up the Harvey Awards where they could not nominate themselves
for an award. I would like all list members to join me here on the list to
nominate these fine gentleman for a Harvey Award an encourage them to make a
new category where they could receive an award if enough of us voted "YES"
to this. Maybe they could create a "People's Choice" award or something
along these lines."

     When Geoff accepted the award, he wrote (1-25-2006); "I have one
request/suggestion: let's make the People's Choice an annual event, so that
each year, you can all vote for some deserving person(s) for a Harvey."
     Also, Geoff mentioned to me last year at the party about keeping the
IMCA involved in the award, if you remember, the IMCA president, our
treasured Anne, gave out the award.
     Since I am an IMCA board member, I took it upon myself, meaning other
IMCA board members where not taken conference with fellow board members, to
take up Geoff's wish to make it annual, and state the obvious. Bernd should
have an award.
     Even if Geoff had not said that Michael, I was taking up president. I
do spend a lot of time and money, traveling with short term displays (a fall
out of how I have been display now that the museum downtown is going bye-bye
and the library wants an eight month notice and won't let me do a concurrent
talk with it), being a board member on the IMCA and the Kansas Meteorite
Society, making donations and promoting meteorites in various manners.
Surely I have earned enough points with the general meteorite collecting
community and the Harvey Award Committee to ne able to suggest such.

     One might even note, that last year two People's Choice awards were
given, and Geoff did note "some deserving person(s) for a Harvey."

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
www.meteoritearticles.com