[meteorite-list] 2007 Peoples Choice Harvey Award Nominee

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 12:19:33 -0800

Hi Zelimir,

When I read the beginning of your message, I thought you were about to suggest nominating a name OTHER than Bernd -- which of course would be perfectly fine to do. Only upon reading your whole message did it occur to me that, as good as your English is (which is excellent by the way), it isn't your first language, so you wouldn't necessarily realize the unintentionally humorous errors in your post:

"Bernd is by no means the best candidate deserving such a nomination."

I think what you meant to say was something like "Bernd is by all measures the best candidate deserving such a nomination." The way you've worded it, you're suggesting that Bernd isn't even close to being the best choice (implying that you can think of many others more deserving). ;-)

I'm pretty sure it's just a translation oddity from French to English, as you use the "by no means" phrase (again, with humorous result) at the end of your post: "...on behalf of many silent listees from my area who ... are by no means honored to have him as friend." I'm sure your intent was, of course, "very honored". ;-)

I certainly agree that Bernd is an excellent choice assuming public nomination for a Harvey Prize is acceptable protocol.

Best wishes and Joyeux No?l from across the Pond,

Rob