[meteorite-list] Map program

From: Pat Brown <radio_ranch_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 23:16:29 -0800 (PST)

Hi Mike and the list,

All of this GPS functionality can be had in the Garmin
GPSMAP60Cx. The unit is about $360 from amazon.com.
The US Topo software (100,000:1) will set you back $81
from amazon.com and finally the North America City
Navigator on DVD will set you back a further $108 also
from amazon. You will also need a micro SD card, the
unit will recognize a 1GB card from personal
experience and is reported to support a 2GB card.
Figure on about $40 for a 1GB card, about twice that
for 2GB.

This unit (after a web firmware upgrade) will give
full routing to street addresses and etc.

The unit works well in the field for meteorite hunting
after the firmware upgrade.

Garmin have the best sensitivity in a full 12 channel
parallel reciever and provide about 20+ hours of
operation from 2 AA batts. The unit can use
rechargable NiMH AAs as well.

For map charting of finds, I use the National
Geographic Topo! software. It is about $90 per state
from amazon. This Topo! map data is not able to run in
the GPS, but will accept downloaded waypoints from the
GPS to allow plotting. The Topo! software goes down to
24,000:1 and uses the data from the USGS database.

Best Regards,
            Pat