[meteorite-list] AD- Esquel Pallasite 146g

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 10:42:41 -0800

Dave,
        I truly am very sorry you are going through a tough time. I am
well aware from personal experience that divorce can, and usually is
one of the very worst and most painful experiences possible. I am very
sorry to hear you are facing the emotional and financial devastation
such an occurrence almost inevitably brings.
        Though I haven't (yet) had the opportunity to hang out with you
and get to know you personally, I have read your postings over the years
and definitely think of you as "a friend." I truly regret if your reaction
to my comments caused you additional emotional distress during this
tough time. This must be particularly difficult given that you are faced
with it during this time of year. Please forgive me.
        I also am hopeful you get your full asking price. I really did
own that piece, and it is killer. (I generally think of "thin" Esquel
as being "superior" because you get more surface relative to gram
weight - therefore, more area per $ spent) However, this piece really
does kick butt over thin slices - there is just something about it - all
of us have experienced this - just something VERY special about
a particular piece that somehow grips you - almost hauntingly....
        Now, as to my response to your ad - Here is the deal: I was NOT
making a joke about your divorce!
        I heard from a mutual friend and someone I respect a great deal who
empathized with your situation and said he thought it was unlike me
to behave in such a manor. I responded with:
                                                  -----------
        It has nothing to do with the reality of the pain of divorce - my
joke "spoke to" the whole issue of using excuses like "I'm sick and owe
hospital bills!" or "my car broke down and the rent is due" or "I am getting
a divorce" and the like as a reason for why people should buy your sh*t,
that is a lame *ss thing to do and "deserves" a joke. "Bunions" was the
lamest "hardship" I could think of.
        We will have to agree to disagree on this one..... maybe I will
"come around" and I will see the error of my ways, but I think my
sense of humor and my distain for such advertising "hooks" will win
out on this one - at least with me.
        We are both lucky to have him as a friend.
        In conclusion: While I do not feel apologetic for taking a poke at
using a "hook" in advertising, I am truly sorry to hear your are facing
such a painful time. May it pass quickly.
        Best wishes for rapid healing, Michael