[meteorite-list] Re: Meteorite-list Digest, Vol 26, Issue 30 (Scho ner's theory)

From: Steve Schoner <schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Feb 14 11:11:38 2006

-- Norm Lehrman <nlehrman_at_nvbell.net> wrote:

Steve,

Everything sounds fine till that last couple of
paragraphs where every other proposal also stumbles.
Just where is all this silicate material in our oceans
or atmosphere? I still see a mass balance problem.

I'm open for a good answer, but if you just described
it, I didn't understand.

Regards,
Norm

(I don't know why it did not appear so I post again)
Norm,

Could the answer be in the total number of tektites that lie in those clay beds? How about the micro-tektites that are scattered all over the oceans sediments? What are the total mass estimates for these? As for the atmospheric silicates, these would fall as dust over a few months or years. The question now is, how small are the smallest tektites? Does anyone know?

Dirk Ross... Do you know?

I suspect that the total tonnage of tektites is quite high, certainly within the possibility as having come from comets.

As for comets, what is the percentage of silicates vs hydrocarbons, and water?

I suspect that the percentage of silicates vs water is small, certainly smaller than is found in the carbonaceous chondrites which are basically silicates, hydrocarbons and a very small percentage of water.

Steve Schoner