[meteorite-list] Rust on iron meteorites : new method ?

From: Ingo Herkstroeter <metopaster_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Feb 18 09:34:23 2006

Hi Marcin, List!

For me there are two things in the world, which don?t belong together: iron
meteorites and water!
Rust is not only a function of water, that?s clear, but it?s a function of
time and water!!! A 30 minute bath in dest. water will not kill the
meteorite immediately, but will start to oxidise it. This is the reason, why
most dealers cut them under oil or etch them with alcoholic HNO3! This is
becomes much more important, if you have different inclusions in your iron!

So I?m very sceptical!

Ingo

P.S. Let me know the results (also in a long time) Pierre.

 --- Urspr?ngliche Nachricht ---