[meteorite-list] Value of Nationalized Meteorites

From: stan . <laser_maniac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Feb 21 00:40:41 2006

I'd have to disagree. the vaule of something is totally dependant upon what
it's WORTH not what it cost to get. Case in point - if you stole a beat up
dodge omni with 600,000miles on it should sentancing reflect the original
cost of sale of the vehical - or the fair market value (probably not even
grand theft for a car like that) or conversely - if we are going to go by
production cost - I'll have to go and steal me a few 1933 st gaudens double
eagles. it only cost the government a few $ to make each one of um and they
are worth what 7 or 8 million each...

sure the guys involved deserved to do hard time for that kind of theft, but
using the aquisition cost of the rock just simply doesnt make sense imho.