[meteorite-list] Texas State Research Sheds New Light on Panspermia

From: Marc Fries <m.fries_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Feb 22 13:54:05 2006

Howdy

   Was it luck, though? Exhibit A from the article:

>> Microbispora wasn't one of the three species McLean expected to find.
>> The slow-growing organism is normally found in the soil, and McLean

   Note that this is a common soil microbe. The fragment landed on the
ground. That's where these guys live. Let me offer an alternative
conversation for our "hardy" microbes:

   (Scene opens. Two microbes are lying comfortably in a dirty, wet
parking lot. Large fragment of spacecraft enters stage left, splatters
itself with goo, including the microbes.)
   Microbe 1 (to Microbe 2): What the _at_#!@! was that?!!

   Microbe 2: Dunno, but it shore is tasty! Look at all this mud!

Cheers,
MDF

> [...]
> Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 3:25 PM
> Subject: [meteorite-list] Texas State Research Sheds New Light on
> Panspermia
>

>> http://talbot.mrp.txstate.edu/currents/fullstory.jsp?sid=689
>>
>> Texas State research sheds new light on panspermia
>> By Jayme Blaschke
>> Texas State University-San Marcos
>> February 21, 2006
>>
>> When the space shuttle Columbia broke apart during reentry Feb. 1, 2003,
>> more than 80 on-board science experiments were lost in the fiery
>> descent.
>>
>> Texas State University-San Marcos biologist Robert McLean, however, has
>> salvaged some unexpected science from the wreckage. A strain of
>> slow-growing bacteria survived the crash, a discovery which may have
>> significant implications for the concept of panspermia. The findings
>> will be published in the May 2006 issue of Icarus, the international
>> journal of solar system studies.
>>
>> Panspermia is the idea that life--hitchhiking on rocks ejected from
>> meteorite impacts on one world--could travel through space and seed
>> other worlds with life under favorable conditions. Because the
>> conditions under which panspermia could function are so harsh, however,
>> there's been little direct testing of the hypothesis.
>>
>> "That might have been in the back of my mind when we recovered our
>> payload," McLean said. McLean, along with a team of Texas State
>> researchers, had placed an experiment package aboard the Columbia to
>> investigate the interactions of three different bacterial species in
>> microgravity. When the shuttle broke up over Texas, they assumed the
>> experiment lost--until it turned up, relatively intact, in the parking
>> lot of a Nacogdoches convenience store. "My first thinking when we found
>> our payload was, 'Let's look for survivors.'"
>>
>> And survivors he found--a bacteria called Microbispora. Ironically,
>> Microbispora wasn't one of the three species McLean expected to find.
>> The slow-growing organism is normally found in the soil, and McLean
>> determined that it had contaminated the experiment prior to launch. With
>> the Icarus publication, McLean anticipates request for samples of this
>> rugged strain to come in from researchers around the world.
>>
>> "This organism appears to have survived an atmospheric passage, with the
>> heat and the force of impact," he said. "That's only about a fifth of
>> the speed that something on a real meteorite would have to survive, but
>> it is at least five or six times faster than what's been tested before.
>>
>> "This is important for panspermia, because if something survives space
>> travel, it eventually has to get down to the Earth and survive passage
>> through the atmosphere and impact. This doesn't prove anything--it just
>> contributes evidence to the plausibility of panspermia. Realistically,
>> that's all it can do," McLean said. "Out of respect for the seven people
>> who gave their lives for this research, I feel it's very important these

Marc Fries
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Carnegie Institution of Washington
Geophysical Laboratory
5251 Broad Branch Rd. NW
Washington, DC 20015
PH: 202 478 7970
FAX: 202 478 8901
-----
I urge you to show your support to American servicemen and servicewomen
currently serving in harm's way by donating items they personally request
at:
http://www.anysoldier.com
(This is not an endorsement by the Geophysical Laboratory or the Carnegie
Institution.)