[meteorite-list] Texas State Research Sheds New Light on Panspermia

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Feb 22 13:41:05 2006

Hi, All,

> survivors he found--a bacteria called Microbispora. Ironically,
> Microbispora wasn't one of the three species McLean expected to find...
> McLean determined that it had contaminated the experiment prior to
> launch...

    There's a beautiful demonstration of the way Life, the Universe, and
Everything (equals 42) works! The shuttle was intelligently designed. The
experiment was intelligently designed (to make a pun on that silly notion).
Everything was carefully planned. What happened?
    An Opportunist was the winner, some little bug too dumb to die.
Microbispora didn't plan to take a trip to outer space and return to the
Earth, but in the end he fared better than the much more capable lifeform
that accompanied him. To those who say Evolution can't work (or Life can't
arise) through the workings of chance, take a look at Microbispora's
vacation trip.
    So, they're sitting in a Texas parking lot, and one Microbispora turns
to the Microbispora next to him, and says, "Well, that wasn't so bad, was
it?"
    "I dunno. We were awfully lucky."
    Life favors the Opportunist (Exhibit One: Bill Gates)
    Loren Eisley wrote a fine essay on the primordial fish who, when his
pond or puddle dries up, stakes everything on a wild leap in the hope of
landing in a better pond or puddle. Many die. Enough land in or near a new
pond or puddle and survive that the impulse to make that hopeless suicidal
(for a fish) leap is inherited.
    Those suicidal fish who struggle hardest to find new water, clawing at
the mud with their fins to crawl, are most likely to survive. This favors
strong "footy" fins. Before you know it, some of their children just get up
and RUN to the nearest pond in a gill-searing dash to find breathable water.
    Well, you can see where this is going. Eventually, fish are getting out
of the water to eat plants and hunt insects and dance by the light of the
moon, no doubt to the dismay of their ancestors. Why, you could hardly call
some of them "fish" anymore!
    All because of an Opportunist who was willing to gamble, senselessly,
against the odds.
    I hope McLean takes these Opportunists back to the lab and gives them a
good home. Make a little sign for their petrie dish that says, "Bacterial
Astronaut Retirement Home."

Sterling K. Webb