[meteorite-list] old woman meteorite

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jan 4 17:03:19 2006

Hello all,

Over 200 pieces of Old Woman meteorite "shale" were found in the same region
of the original find about 10 years after the original discovery. Besides
locating the spot where the original meteorite was found, they (UCLA?) also
planted a pole to mark its location. Somewhere around here I have an
article (off print?) describing the second round of hunting, which includes
photographs of "then and now" of the find site. I guess it would be "then
and then" now....:^)

If anyone else has to read this article, they would likely conclude there is
a lot of Old Woman shale still lying around the lake....rusting away. Adams
find is still very interesting because of the location of his find. The
other shale pieces were found much closer to the original find location.

I cant seen to remember the author but If there is enough interest I will
dig up the article and scan it or translate it for sharing. (My memory says
Frederic C. Leonard....who was not alive at this time so I think we can rule
that out.)

You can read more the Old Woman meteorite via original newspaper articles on
my website:

http://www.meteoritearticles.com/znpoldwoman.html

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick