[meteorite-list] In The Beginning

From: dfreeman <dfreeman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jan 17 08:34:45 2006

Dear Edward, List;
Where to hunt first...someplace close by where you live! If you find
one, you will be obsessed to go there every chance you can. A good
place not far from where you live is better than a 400 mile trip every
weekend. A local spot that holds potential and produces one of a dozen
meteorites allows you the time to successfully explore the location
fully on your own. If for instance you travel for 8 hours one way to
your lucky first find location, you have fewer choices if you spend the
whole time available in the seat of your car instead of scouring the
surface. It sort of related to tournament fishing, can't catch fish
unless your lure is in the strike zone, can't find fish unless you are
where the fish are.
And, also like fishing, surround yourself with those that know more than
you do so you can learn more. Karma is karma, and to a degree we do
create our own...good and bad. Be ambitious mentally, read and ponder,
speculate surface types and time/errosional factors, the environment
over time, what would a meteorite do a foot, or even more, deep in the
soil for thousands of years?
Hope this helps you, and gives us all a bit of reflection. The cranial
tool is as important as the magnet or detector.
What part of the world did you say you were located, your local geologic
setting?
Best,
Dave Freeman
Wyoming's high desert, 11-14 inches of precip annually, high alkaline
soils, little vegetation, average humidity 20-30%.