[meteorite-list] In The Beginning

From: roc350_at_optonline.net <roc350_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jan 14 20:51:45 2006

Dear List,
I am a new member of the list. I am also new to the world of hunting meteorites. I find most of my daily thoughts to be consumed by my first find. The unfortunate part is, I have yet to find my first meteorite. I have spoken to many professional collectors and hunters. Some have given me inspiration, and some have me completely discouraged. I am an extreemly determined individual, sometimes to determined, but I find this to be an asset because it usually takes me to where I need to be. The bottom line is, I am looking for advice and possibly a little help in the right direction. I am trying to decide where in the U.S. to hunt first. This is difficult. I would prefer meeting a fellow hunter and learning a few things about how to hunt, what type of detector to use and where we are permitted to be. Mr. Notkin suggested purchasing a used fisher Gold Bug mk l or Gold Bug ll. I recently saw Bill Pecks Guide to North American Meteorites at a friends house. I thought this map may be
 extreemly helpful to me but I don't think it is available anymore. Well, I figured I would break the ice and introduce myself to you guys/gals, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Edward Kerr