[meteorite-list] Re: In The Beginning

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jan 14 23:05:24 2006

Edward posted:

> some have me completely discouraged.

Dear Ed:

Welcome to the one-and-only Meteorite List!

Ed and I had a very pleasant correspondence about meteorite hunting and
metal detectors. I suggested that he join the M-List and thereby
benefit from the copious knowledge of all you wonderful guys.

Ed, I hope I am not one of those who discouraged you. When I was
writing to you, I was remembering how many crummy hot rocks I had to
dig up at Gold Basin before I found a real meteorite, and all the time
put in at Holbrook, just find some teensy little stones about the size
of an ant's brain. But then I've been lucky enough to make good finds
elsewhere, so there's no point in complaining : ) There ARE
meteorites out there ("They gotta be out there" as my friend and
mega-meteorite hunter Sonny Clary is fond of saying . . . the minute he
gets out in the field with anyone).

List members, please give Ed some tips and encouragement. He is a
friend of my friend (and List member) Derek Yoost -- himself an eminent
meteorite collector and paleontologist.

Ed, regarding your metal detector question, try searching the List
archives. It takes a while to wade through everything, but there is a
wealth of info on detectors in there, from people who really know their
stuff.

Welcome aboard.

Regards,

Geoff N.