[meteorite-list] Meteorites smell good ...mmm

From: Bob King <lakewind_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jan 20 00:34:26 2006

Hello all,
A lot of us like to bring meteorites to classes we occasionally visit with
or teach. I had this opportunity earlier this week and just for fun brought
a sheet of 220 grit sandpaper and a slice of NWA 869 for the kids to do
a scratch and sniff. I asked them to grind away a little bit on the
sandpaper and then take a whiff of meteorite. Most of them compared
the odor to sulfur or matches. One 6th grader was pretty excited: "It
smells like matches. I like the smell of matches." I explained that
sometimes freshly fallen meteorites have a sulfurous smell.
Though I wasn't positively certain, I'm assuming the odor is from the
sulfur in troilite?
Anyway, it was fun to do some "hands on" with the asteroid bits.
Happy sniffing!
Bob