[meteorite-list] Meteorites smell good ...mmm

From: Walter Branch <branchw_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jan 20 01:54:44 2006

Hi Bob and List,

Neat! Sounds like you had a nice time and the kids really learned
something. Can't be that combination anytime!

I need some help from list members. I am hosting a star party next month
for my daughter's first grade class. Her teacher is going to require the
students to keep a "moon journal" for a few days to record naked-eye lunar
observations and associated meteorological and atmospheric conditions (on
their level, of course). I plan to bring some scopes to the school for a
couple of nights to let the kids actually observe the moon. I am also going
to supply plenty of hot chocolate and some of the freeze-dried "astronaut"
food (ice cream) that you can purchase a various space/aviation visitors
centers and museums. As my friend Gail from Alberta says, "it should be a
hoot, eh"?

Anyway, I would like to also give each child a meteorite. I have given away
many kg of meteorites over the past several years but alas, I have none to
give away at present.

To anyone who can help me, I need 20 or so fragments of NWA 869, totaling
maybe 1-2 kg. I have plenty of 4 x 3 inch baggies to place them in, along
with an ID card. Can anyone supply me with 20 fragments. I will pay with a
check so I suppose I am looking to obtain these from only US dealers as the
fees for non-US banks to cash a US check are expensive.

I chose NWA 869 because is it relatively plentiful and I can explain the
naming/numbering procedure to the kids and their parents. They can also
practice doing a little research on the internet, when they are a little
older.

I will not accept donations as you should be paid for your goods but I can
certainly include the supplying dealers ID card with the meteorite. Who
knows, maybe a parent will want to follow up with the source dealer.

Anyway, can anyone help me out?

-Walter Branch