[meteorite-list] Term Main Mass

From: Arizona Skies Meteorites <johnbirdsell_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jan 20 01:56:24 2006

The term main mass is not a difficult concept. In its
currently accepted usage it is context dependent. If
one states that meteorite "Z" is the main mass of the
NWA 123, then that clearly means it is the largest
extant specimen of the meteorite individuals
comprising all individuals belonging to the NWA 123
grouping. It does not imply anything more or less.
That is it. No if's, and's or but's. If on the other
hand one states that meteorite "Z" is the main mass of
a particular "fall", then that implys that it is the
largest extant specimen found to date from a defined
fall, or the largest remaining specimen if the largest
specimen has been cut up. This really isn't that
diffulcult to understand is it?

-John

http://epsc.wustl.edu/admin/resources/meteorites/moon_meteorites_list.html