[meteorite-list] Term Main Mass +add

From: Eduardo. <rockhoundm_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jan 20 07:15:14 2006

I made some internet search and found the following "definition" of main
mass at http://www.meteoritekit.com/glossary/

Main Mass
The Main Mass refers to the total pre-atmospheric mass of a meteoroid or
the largest known fragment of a meteorite.

thats the strangest definiton of main mass I ever read!

In my opinion, the main mass is the largest fragment or piece collected
after a fall/found of a specific meteorite fall. If you cut it, each of
the fragments came from the main mass, and the largest of them is now the
main mass... unless a the 2nd larger specimen of that fall/find is larger
than all of the fragments, then the main mass is gone forever. So the
main mass is the largest fragment of the largest specimen collected if
it's still the largest known piece of that fall/find.

Going now to desert meteorites, if you are 100% sure that two specimens
came from the same strewnfield, and they are paired, then only one of
them should have a main mass. In paired DAG's, for example, where you
know where they were collected, only one of the pieces should be the main
mass (so, several DAG numbers, one main mass). In most of the NWA, as
they are bought from nomades this is almost impossible to be told, so
each NWA number have it's own main mass. Of course the meaning for a
collector of having a main mass from a NWA and one from other locality is
not the same.

This year I was able to obtain the first main mass from a Fall in my
collection (according to my definition). It was a 1.4kg specimen of Arbol
Solo, fall on 1954, Sept 11. The TKW until last year was 899g. Now it
went to 2.3kg.
Now the add, I will have a few specimens taken from the main mass at
Tucson. Less than 150g was cut and no more will be cut from it
(preserving the main mass in my collection). Most of the rest of this
meteorite is locked or lost. If you want to see them just stop at my room.

Eduardo