[meteorite-list] A Final Opinion

From: Mark Bowling <minador_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jan 31 23:46:44 2006

Hi Ed and list,

I mainly went with the GM3 because it had a frequency adjust, so I can
along side most other White's detectors. I can literally get the coil
within about a foot of the GMT coil without any interference. I must
admit that the GMT is a pleasure to use - my dad has that one and I've
found 4 meteorites with it and my first gold nugget. I very often find
myself borrowing his... But my GMT is starting to win out. The ground
balance controls on the GM3 are within easy reach of your fingers, and
once you figure out the concept of ground balance, it get fairly fast to
adjust.

Another plus with the GM3 is that the box can be removed from the wand
and mounted on your chest or belt. This reduces weight you arm has to
support. It may not seem like a big issue, but excess weight can be a
major source of fatigue. Which can encourage bad hunting techniques
which will reduce your effectiveness. With the little amount of time
most of us have to hunt, it's important to be as thorough and effective
as possible (which is why most people vote for sight hunting in
favorable terrain).

I've only managed one trip to Gold Basin with my GM3 and got skunked. I
wasn't disappointed considering how hard they are to find. I definitely
think the GM3 is the best value for your money and that you will be
happy with it.

Happy hunting!

Mark