[meteorite-list] re: Another Meteorite Lands in Norway?

From: Göran Axelsson <axelsson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jul 10 13:29:59 2006

I don't think it is pumice, it is too heavy at two kg and it doesn't
look like that. There is almost none vesicular lava in Norway but there
are a lot of rocks that easily weathers into this pattern of dimples on
the surface.
This looks like a glacial rock that has been weathered. It is too dirty
for just have been on the planet for a day or two, mud shouldn't have
time to stick on that smooth surface in such a short time.
I would bet my money that we have a meteowrong again, probably kids playing.

I think Rob has got it right (in another post). But I beat him to the
rock. I found this stone when panning for gold yesterday. I brought it
home as I think it looked like a really nice meteowrong.

The stone is 135g, rounded with a smooth surface with pits in it.
http://www.meteorite.neab.net/pictures/Meteowrong-1a.jpg
http://www.meteorite.neab.net/pictures/Meteowrong-1b.jpg
But as you can see, there is no vesicles inside it, only a fine grained
matrix with patches of dark mica, probably biotite. I cracked it open
and took a picture (a bit out of focus)
http://www.meteorite.neab.net/pictures/Meteowrong-1c.jpg

I rest my case!

Regards, G?ran