[meteorite-list] AD: METEORITE CLASSIFICATION SERVICE

From: stan . <laser_maniac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jul 12 15:37:40 2006

Michael,

This is a somewhat touchy subject that I'm about to bring up, so I will just
come out and say it.

Nothing against Killgore or Dr. Lauretta personally, but lets not forget
that their new meteorite center was founded because of the 'private
collecting community cutting up and distributing rare material' their
mission statement seems to sugest their goal as keeping rare material off
the collector's market.

While there is some convincing arguments that could be had about preserving
meteorites, I feel there is even more argument for allowing the collecting
community to continue what it has been doing - collecting metorites.

Why should collectors and dealers alike patronize a facility that thinks
they shouldnt have the very stones the facility is classifying for them? It
seems like a case of not just letting the wolf guard the hen house, but
giving him a bib, knife, fork, bottle of BBQ sauce and a rotisserie cooker
to boot!