[meteorite-list] AD: METEORITE CLASSIFICATION SERVICE

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jul 12 15:48:18 2006

Hi All,
        OK, I contacted the Southwest Meteorite Center at U of A.
Dr. Lauretta was on vacation, but I was able to get ahold of
Marvin. Marvin informed me they are far from ready to be able
to do analysis in a timely manor and, while that is a definite
future goal, until other aspects of the Center are developed
there will not be any reasonable classification system set up.
        So, while this is a goal for the center, it is not now available
to the meteoritic community - and when it will be available is
quite unclear due to uncertainty of when funding will become
available.
        The core goal of the center will be to build a permanent repository
and display of meteorites that represent all typologies and preserve
them for all time. When funding is in place, the analysis system will
definitely be a priority and a core component of the center.
        Best wishes, Michael