[meteorite-list] AD: METEORITE CLASSIFICATION SERVICE

From: David Weir <dgweir_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jul 15 10:15:52 2006

> Hello David, All,
>
> Well done.

Thank you. I hope you got a smile out of it, but I'm sure not as funny
as Martin Altmann.

> You've missed my point entirely.

No I believe I understand your point perfectly well, and I agree with
your feelings that material must be saved for science rather than turned
into Bessy Specks.

> And way to be melodramatic.

Whatever.

> I don't care whether or not people have collections. It's my opinion
> that if they want one, they should be able to do whatever they want
> with it. But they should want to conserve such rare items and use
> them for their only really useful purpose - to expand our knowledge
> of the solar system.

Agreed. (some do make great doorstops though)

> I'm not saying that people should give up their collections.

Of course not, only a few countries have this as their policy.

> But they should be willing to allow dealers to sell a portion of
> their finds to science, so that the might be studied more in-depth.
> Without the scientific research behind all of this, they'd just be
> useless bits of rock anyways.

I just paid a visit to the Smithsonian collection. They have some
fantastic large masses preserved. Bravo. They have the financial power
to make competitive offers for others, although I don't believe they
acquire NWA material. Other institutions do, and the classifying
institution gets at least 20 grams of everything. Most dealers would
gladly contribute more if there was something of special interest of
which more was needed; I know the Hupes mention their generous donations
above and beyond quite often.

> And maybe when we all pass on, we could leave some statement in our
> will that would allow the University of Arizona to either have the
> first go at buying it, or just donate it to them outright. They do
> no good sitting in your drawers or wherever you keep them. You might
> as well give them to a place that can actually put them to use.

I've given some thought to this issue, knowing how old I'm steadily
becoming. I've consulted collector friends as well. It is my conclusion
that the person or institution who is willing to pay the most money for
a specimen, or the entire collection, is the entity who will care most
for it in perpetuity. A donated specimen carries no monetary value and
would not demand the degree of care and respect necessary for best
scientific preservation.

> David, you know what I mean - you're one of the few that actually has
> a website where one can see descriptive pictures of meteorites -
> you're an exception anyways. And surely you felt some reason to put
> all of those pictures and that information up - it wasn't just for
> your own enjoyment, was it? If you care at all about how unique and
> special such items are, you'd just allow this to happen. It wouldn't
> harm you, your pocketbook, or your collection at all. I've already
> explained this.

But you don't understand some of the repercussions Jason. I do
understand Stan's point that big-dollar backing by a single institution
could enable them to purchase entire masses before little ol' me gets a
chance to add a small specimen to my collection. I think you haven't
understood this point yet. Please address it.

> If you wish to continue to ignore what I'm saying, go right ahead.
> No one's going to stop you....but I do hope you get it eventually.

I'm conversing with you aren't I? Not ignoring you. (I do need to go mow
my lawn though) Let me ask you this. Do you think my systematic
collection would be better off with me or with ASU? I'm absolutely
serious that I would be willing to sell it in its entirety for a small
portion of that $10 Million.