[meteorite-list] The smallest oriented meteorite contest - CAILLOU NOIR: RESULTS

From: Fred Caillou Noir <fred_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jul 30 06:43:18 2006

Dear All,

The smallest oriented meteorite contest ended on July 24 as planned and I'm
a bit late to communicate the results, sorry about that!

You can have a look at all the meteorites that have been proposed at:
http://www.caillou-noir.com/Contestjuly2006.htm

We wish thank you all for the high interest that you have shown in this
contest. Paul Gessler, the winner of the "oriented stony meteorite contest"
will receive an oriented Taza of 1.90g and measuring 12x9x4mm (see pictures
at the end of the webpage). As unfortunately nobody could provide an
oriented iron meteorite smaller than the one shown by Caillou Noir, the
winner of the "oriented iron meteorite contest" is Michel!
We had actually decided to propose two options with the smallest oriented
stony meteorite and the smallest oriented iron meteorite contests, hoping
that one of you could propose an iron that would be smaller than the one
presented by Michel... But nobody had one...

As mentioned in the webpage, we could not take the meteorite dust proposed
by Nelson Oakes into the contest as it is not possible to know whether it is
an iron or a stony meteorite, and moreover it is not a classified meteorite
that has been named by the Nom. Com. of the Meteoritical Society. But we
wanted to show it as it is an interesting one, when you know that it was
caught by Nelson himself! You can see it in the contest's webpage.

A special reward to Robert Matson - 3.920g Lucerne-Valley 021 - who found it
himself. What an eagle eye you must have, Rob!!! Congratulations.

This contest was a real success and should any of you like to propose
another contest in the future, we will try to take part with pleasure!

Kindest regards to ALL OF YOU!

Michel & Frederic