[meteorite-list] Re: Upcoming "meteorite hunt" based movie

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jul 30 14:34:48 2006

Darren Garrison wrote:

> I've noticed that there is a movie in production based on a graphic
> novel called
> "Stardust" written by author Neil Gaiman about a young man searching
> for a "shooting star"

This is a nice coincidence. Neil is my oldest friend. We've known each
other since we were ten, went through English school together and he
was the singer in my first rock band. There is a walk-on character in
the first first issue of his famous comic, "Sandman," named Notkin.

We're still friends and a couple of years ago I sent him photos of a
meteorite hunt I went on with Jim Kriegh and Sonny Clary in Nevada.
Neil wrote back and said, "I never get to do anything exciting like
that!" I found that pretty funny coming from one of the world's top
science fiction/fantasy authors.

I wasn't aware of the graphic novel. I better send him a little
meteorite so he has some accurate reference material : )

I recommend the recent film he made with Dave McKean, "Mirrormask,"
which is a visually beautiful fantasy tale, partly set in a computer
modeled dream world and partly set in modern day Brighton, England. The
parallel worlds reminded me a little of "Tron," the SF movie from the
early '80s.

Regards,

Geoff N.
www.aerolite.org