[meteorite-list] British Study Attempts to Calculate Odds ofBeingHit By a Meteorite

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jul 31 18:21:55 2006

Hi,

    This what I get for doing arithmetic at 3 in the am.
Off by a factor of two, but so are you. Since you can't
decide where in the circle of destruction you will be,
the mean maximum distance would be the radius of the
circle, or 1358 feet, the circle always being defined as
having its center at the impact point.
    That's about a quarter mile. Let's see. Up to 6 tons
TNT force. 100's of tons of ejecta at 100's of mph.
Ok, you stand on the edge of the circle. I'll take those
bleacher seats. We'll both have video cameras, and I
know you'll get the better pictures, but I'll feel safer.
    The question of target ground composition is just
luck. Unconsciously, I assumed limestone bedrock
not far down. (There's a quarry right in the dead
center of my town...) Maybe I'd feel safe it was all
dirt... And IF we knew the impactor was an iron.
    But it's a one ton stone (all stone; no mesosiderites)
fragment impacting at hypersonic speed, I don't want
to be only 1/4 mile away regardless of target. I'll be
in the bleachers, with my face painted in Team
Meteorite colors, waving the Meteorite flag,
video camera (Zoom X10) at the ready.
    But if it's one pound stones falling at 120 mph,
I'll be running around the strewn field with little red
tag-flags, GPS, camera, baggies... and a big hard hat.

Sterling K. Webb