AW: [meteorite-list] Kerala Red Rain Was From A Comet, Study Suggests

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jun 5 17:53:43 2006

Hi Sterling, Kevin,

well, I'm not insisting on that meconium-theory, I only thought, that it
would be a possibility very well worth to be checked, simply because such
red meconial rains were observed before and together with the rain, swarms
of insects were observed and the "cells" are looking similar,
so that this in my eyes, if I were a Louis, would try to exclude this
possibility as one of the firsts.

I by my own am even not totally convinced, that necessarily the red liquid
fell from sky.
Funny enough a few weeks ago we could observe in Germany a Yellow Rain :-)
This year we had huge quantities of yellow pollen of conifers,
everything outside was covered with that yellow dust.
One night there was a little rain, only a few drops
and in the morning one could observe on all surfaces nice patterns of wet
pollen, yellow spots and circles, wherefrom one could have the impression
that yellow drops splashed on thise surfaces.

Some hundred years ago, one might would have thought, that it was a
sulphur-rain.
It's a common pattern, that people, if they found something unusal and
plentiful, which suddenly appeared and where they can find no explanation,
and there was a rain, the will connect it with the rain, that the stuff felt
from sky.

There are so many examples of such unusual rain reports from old times on.
Frog rains - even today one can observe it here in Bavaria, that after a
cloudburst with short and strong rain a meadow suddenly teems with tiny tree
frogs, so that one could think, that they felt from sky.
(well, after a rain, when the earthworms are coming out, at least the people
seemed to have drawn the right conclusion, common name of the eartworm in
German is rainworm).
Widely reported in 16th century was the Mice Rain of Bergen in Norway.
I guess with the stron rain, the warrend of the mice and also the cellars
were flooded, so that they came out.
Sulphur rains, may it have been transported Sahara-dust or pollen,
blood rains (one in Hungary with the appearance of insects),
and so on.

Or think to the belief accepted for a long time, that there are liquid
meteorites. Would have to look, wasn't that the jelly found on dew-wet
meadows in the morning (algae?).

So perhaps the rain wasn't red in Kerala, but was coloured by smth. which
was already there on the ground. (If I remember, in one newspaper article,
there was written, that the rain coloures clothes red - but not, that the
drops themselves were red).

Bad blood would be a horrible imagination, how many bats would one need to
squeeze out to have a red rain? They are small. And how would the processes
be, that the blood will mix still in the air with the raindrops?
And if they loose so much blood, wouldn't be there lying a lot dead bats
down and we would have read, Toxic-Alien-Rain caused mass mortatility among
bats...

I love bats, there in Romania, where I'm always staying it is full of bats
(but no red rain). Each night one can hear their electrical whisper in the
clefts of the buildings and when one lays an ear on the hollow trees....

Hmm, there isn't "bad science", only bad thing in this story was, that there
was this publications spread, before the case was sufficient investigated.

Buckleboo!
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----