[meteorite-list] Meade Telescopes diversifying their product line?

From: tracy latimer <daistiho_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jun 29 14:01:11 2006

Yep, Meade has sold boxed sample sets for a while now, apparently as a
sideline. They are nice, but more pricy than buying on ebay, or even some
dealers. Still if you want to be sure you get a real meteorite and don't
know the good dealers, it's a start.

Earlier this year, I accompanied my husband on an appointment, ostensibly to
keep the client occupied while he fixed their computer. It turned out they
collected gemstones, and while they had a nice collection of precious and
semiprecious stones, they were very proud of a "meteorite sphere" they had
bought from a NY dealer. I couldn't face telling them that the "meteorite"
was nothing but nicely finished terrestrial iron pyrites and other
concretions. We went back the next day for a followup, and I brought some
of my real meteorites to show them; I especially wanted them to see what a
nice pallasite looked like; that, and a chunk of the Moon and Mars.

My little exhibit apparently fired their imagination. Last week, my husband
had another computer appointment with them, and the gentleman proudly showed
off his new Meade meteorite collection. Now if only we can convince him
that the so-called meteorite sphere is a meteorwrong.

Tracy Latimer
p.s. I may have this Mike Reynolds confused with someone else, but I
thought he was a sci-fi author and aerospace consultant, not a meteorite
authority.