[meteorite-list] Dhofar 007 - anomalous eucrite

From: David Weir <dgweir_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jun 29 17:57:20 2006

bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de wrote:
> A heads-up to those interested in eucrites, and in particular,
> to those who own a piece (or more) of this fantastic eucrite.
> I own a small, 0.94-gram piece that I got from Christian Anger
> and one of those gorgeous slices (16 grams) I. Koutyrev offered
> on EBay a while ago.
>
> There is an article in the June 2006 issue of MAPS:
>
> YAMAGUCHI A. et al. (2006) An anomalous eucrite, Dhofar 007,
> and a possible genetic relationship with mesosiderites.
> (MAPS 41-6, 2006, 863-874)
>
> See also:
>
> YAMAGUCHI A. et al. (2003) An anomalous eucrite, Dhofar 007,
> and a possible genetic relationship with mesosiderites.
> Lunar and Planetary Science XXXIV (2003) 1377.pdf).
>

> Best wishes,
>
> Bernd

Hello Bernd,

I didn't find very much in the way of new revelations in this current
paper (2006) compared to the previous paper by Yamaguchi et al. (2003),
in fact, I think they covered more ground in the previous paper as it
relates to the possible formation scenarios of Dhofar 007. They did
provide better constraints on the thermal history here, which are
consistent with their previous concepts, but I didn't follow their
sudden leap to concluding that this was "likely" an inclusion of a
mesosiderite, while relegating the anomalous cumulate eucrite theory to
a distant second. If it is true that the mesosiderites were formed on
the HED parent object as many now suggest, then I would imagine there
would be many ways in which this particular meteorite could have formed
without resorting to the idea that it formed as a clast within a
mesosiderite. I would suppose that the many similarities it shares with
silicate clasts in mesosiderites could arise in many ways if they both
originated in the same general vicinity and experienced the same event,
as pointed out by Yamaguchi et al. himself in the 2003 paper. Either
way, it's a strange one that should provide more answers, or more
likely, more questions than answers.

David