[meteorite-list] "Tucson Ring" Scam

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jun 29 18:09:29 2006

Dear Listees:

This is an alert regarding an alleged piece of the Tucson Ring,
currently being offered for sale.

Some months ago, I was contacted by a lady here in Tucson, who stated
that a family member had found an iron meteorite nearby. She emailed me
a photo, and there was no doubt that it was the real thing. I went to
take a look in person. She claimed the ~3 kg iron had been found "near
Ryan Field" but, conveniently, couldn't remember exactly where.
Although it was clearly a genuine iron meteorite it was, in my opinion,
almost certainly a Campo del Cielo, and not a particularly nice one at
that.

I remarked that the specimen had obviously been wire brushed, and it
was unlikely it had been found in that condition. With my loupe I
showed her parts of the original patina that remained in some crevices.
She stated that the iron had never been cleaned, and was just as it had
been found.

I explained that the only way to do a positive ID would be to take her
iron to a recognized lab for analysis. The specimen was taken to the
meteorite department at the University of Arizona. A number of eminent
academics looked at it, and spent a great deal of time photographing
it, making a cast, etc., as the owner had given them permission to cut
it, once a cast had been made. The owner then changed her mind and said
she would not allow it to be cut. Only the "new owner" could have it
cut.

Yesterday, she wrote to me again, saying "everyone [at U of A] thinks
this is a part of the Tucson Ring meteorite." She offered it to me at
$5,500. I telephoned U of A today and spoke with a friend who is
directly involved with this matter. I was very clearly told that nobody
at U of A believes this iron has anything to do with the Tucson Ring.

In my opinion, this is misrepresentation at best, and an outright scam
at worst. As such I wanted to alert the collecting community in case
anyone is offered this specimen. It weighs 3,230 grams, and has a
flattish, tapered "scute" shape, typical of many old Campos. It is
bright silver (has been heavily wire brushed) and has small pits on the
surface, again similar to many "old" Campos.

Anyone wishing further details, please feel free to contact me
off-list. I have not used any real names as this is a public forum.

In this case, buyer beware.

Yours sincerely,

Geoff
www.aerolite.org