[meteorite-list] Park Forest Fireball Question

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Mar 8 17:08:40 2006

My understanding would make normal velovity for
meteorites is strange concept because the speed need
not likely to be the 12km/s which the earths gravity
provides, nor the 42km/s which is the escape velocity
from the solar system at the earths orbit (30km/s
+12km/s = earths orbital speed + earth escape
velocity)

As a meteor can strike the earth from any direction it
can vary between 12km/s and 72km/s (72km/s is the
escape velocity at earth's orbit 42km/s + the earth
orbital speed 30km/s which is the collision speed
you'd get if an object hit the earth going in the
complete opposite orbital direction to the earths
orbit)

As for using a stopwatch to time it, due to the way
everything moves, you'd likely find the average speed
depended on the time of day you were measuring it, for
the same reason that you see more meteors after
midnight than before.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. (again)

Rob McC