[meteorite-list] Park Forest Fireball Question

From: drtanuki <drtanuki_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Mar 8 15:58:59 2006

Greetings and Salutations Geoff and List Members,

  A rhetorical question, but what is "higher than
normal velocity (for a meteorite "fall")? We assume
that the velocity for most "falls" to be at
gravitational velocity, but I suspect that this is an
incorrect assumption based on speculation and not
fact. Very few "falls" have someone with a stopwatch
observing (timing) the fall velocity. Even the use of
the word "fall" is perhaps a slightly incorrect use of
the word, since the word "fall" indicates or assumes
that the object is falling at gravational velocity.
  Not much sleep, so am a bit punchy this early
morning; and the Leno headline (Thanks Paul!!!) set me
off with a whacky frame of mind too early in the
morning. LOL!
 Have a good afternoon and evening, Dirk...Tokyo

PS. Geoff is the Paleolist getting any traffic? I
have not been getting any postings recently.