[meteorite-list] Kendleton Meteorite; Port Arthur, Texas NPA

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Mar 10 15:53:22 2006

Hello,

I had a request for Kendleton NPA's. This is the only one I have recovered
so far, and I do not think I have posted it yet....so here it is. Dr.
Ehlmann once mentioned to me that Monnig collected NPA's, so it is likely
that the Monnig files contain other NPA's related.

Mark

Paper: The Port Arthur News
City: Port Arthur, Texas
Date: Wednesday, May 3, 1939
Page: 1 (of 20)

FOLKS HERE SAW METEOR FLAME BUT DENY ITS TAIL SPELLED OUT 'HITLER' OR 'WAR'

     The tail of that meteor east Texans saw in the evening sky at dusk
Tuesday did not spell out any message in letters, according to the Port
Arthur residents who told The News they had seen it.
     But so prominent was it, that thousands in this area must have seen the
fiery red ball that dropped toward the western horizon. Drawling,
apparently, upon their imaginations, many persons said they could see
"words" spelled out by the fall as it hung in the sky 10 minutes or longer.

Seen Over Wide Area

     Persons in Beaumont, Houston and Galveston reported seeing the meteor
to the west-southwest, indicating, because it was seen in the same place by
so many people scattered over so large an area that it must have been
hundreds - perhaps thousands - of miles away.
     An Associated Press dispatch from Houston related a large variety of
symbols seen in the meteor's tail by the imaginative, "War," some said, was
written plainly. Other things reported seen were "Hitler," "1918" and the
nazi swastika. A Townsend planner saw "$200" as plan as day.

"Sort of Splashed Out"

     But Mrs. L. Gautreaux of 2401 17th street, who observed it with her
husband, discounted all such reports.
     "It was like a ball of fire," she told The News, "like a shooting
star," and it sort of splashed out. But the tail lasted surely 10 minutes,
first making a line like a pencil mark. Then it broke into

(Turn to page 13, column 5)

Paper: The Port Arthur News
City: Port Arthur, Texas
Date: Wednesday, May 3, 1939
Page: 13 (of 20)

METEOR
Continued from Page 1.

pieces, something like letters, but I couldn't tell what it meant.
     From Mrs. Gautreaux's home, the meteor appeared to be over the Texas
Company plant.

Not Seen At Weather Bureau

     The weather bureau station here said the phenomenon had been reported
by several persons, but that none of its observers had seen it.
      Part of the (AP) story from Houston follows:
     The size of the meteor was described as being twice as big as a full
moon.
     Various sounds were heard. Some felt the meteor must have been near
because they claimed they could hear it hissing. Residents of Houston
Heights said it was so near the earth that some of them ducked as it passed
over.

Dust Fell On Trees?

     The thing made such a bright light roosters crowed. Dust settling on
trees, some claimed, sounded like birdshot falling.
     Joe King, amateur astronomer, said it must have been at least 500 miles
from the earth because the tail and the meteor were visible so long.
     As for the hissing and the thunder and the messages in the sky, King
said they were purely imaginary.

(end)

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
http://www.meteoritearticles.com
http://www.coinandstampman.com
http://www.imca.cc

http://stores.ebay.com/MeteoriteArticles

PDF copy of this article, and most of those on my website, are available
upon e-mail request.

The NPA in the subject line, stands for Newspaper Article. The old list
server allowed us a search feature the current does not, so I guess this is
more for quick reference and shortening the subject line now.