[meteorite-list] Any interesting (?) Chinese tektite

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Mar 10 17:14:52 2006

Hi, Norm, List,

    I too thought of carnival glass. The process of carnival
glass making goes back to the 1880's (at least). You sprinkle
a fresh hot glass object straight from the mold or furnace
with (powdered) slag containing a variety of mineral salts
and stick it back in the furnace briefly to obtain the iridescence.
The color range depends on the minerals used. The purple-
blue-goldish iridescence is a popular one for decorative art
glass. The story is that the process was discovered by
accident, dropping a fresh piece in slag dust and then trying to
burn it off. In modern manufacturing techniques, "the
iridescence is created by adding metalic oxides into the
hot glass while being formed and spraying the metallic salt
solution to the still hot surface, subsequently re-firing it in the
kiln. It was the eventual melting of the salts that created the
rainbow colors of iridescence."
    Taking an existing tektite and "carnivalizing" it would
be very difficult because you'd have to heat the tektite to
an almost molten state, and the result would be iridescence
on the outer most "high points" rather than in the bottom
of the pits. Also it would be a strange thing to do; why?
A warehouse fire might be hot enough, but where would
the mineral salts come from? The box on the shelf above?
Since it has to happen when the tektite is hot, semi-molten,
the "least-effort" explanation that it fell originally on ground
which had some naturally occuring mineral salt.

Sterling K. Webb