[meteorite-list] Impact Structures - Simple vs Complex?

From: Jeff Kuyken <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Mar 15 18:10:24 2006

Here's a question for those of you more familiar with impact structures on
Earth. I believe I saw somewhere that craters fall into 2 main categories?
simple and Complex with the later having a central uplift, concentric rings,
etc among other things.

My question is: How small can a complex crater be? Is there a definitive
size restraint or does it completely depend on a multitude of variables such
as the make-up of the impacting body, velocity, impact angle, target rock,
etc?

Any help is appreciated,

Jeff Kuyken
Meteorites Australia