[meteorite-list] Elementary School Show n Tell

From: Gary K. Foote <gary_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon May 1 20:07:54 2006

Well, list, I finally got together with the first grade and the third grade classes at
the local elementary school for a little meteorite presentation. I took along about 15
or 20 of my own specimens as well as a NWA fragment for each of 27 children [courtesy of
Rob Wesel of Nakhla Dog Meteorites]. Thanks a million Rob. The kids were thrilled to
each have a little piece of something that actually came from outer space.

First my wife and daughter [who works at the school] passed out a meteorite to each
child. We also gave each classroom a Sikhote for their own display. Then I opened by
asking who knew what a meteorite was. The talk just kind of flowed from their questions
that popped up all over the place. Along the way I told them about their meteorite
fragments and showed them an individual NWA and a slice of NWA869 and told them of their
geographical relationship. I used the map on the class wall to point out NWA.

I had each child rub their hands together briskly to demonstrate friction and then
compared that to the air 'rubbing' on the meteor as it flew thru the atmosphere, burning
and melting and eventually exploding, either above the ground from air pressure or upon
impact. We also talked about meteorite origins. We let them handle all but the slice of
869. We passed a few irons around to let them feel their weight. They got close up
after to look through magnifying glasses we brought along.

Etched Gibeon slice
NWA Individual
Sliced NWA endcut with high metal content
Campo 'Space Coin'
Three Campos
Three Sikhotes
10 Tektites
Canyon Diablo
Meteorwrong

We had fun - the kids had fun and they learned something and now each holds a piece of
the sky in their pocket.

Here are three pictures my wife took;

http://www.meteorite-dealers.com/images/comwayel1.jpg
http://www.meteorite-dealers.com/images/comwayel2.jpg
http://www.meteorite-dealers.com/images/comwayel3.jpg

Thanks again Rob! The kids really were amazed to have what you gave them.

Gary Foote
http://www.meteorite-dealers.com