[meteorite-list] Elementary School Show n Tell

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue May 2 11:58:25 2006

Gary,

It's fantastic isn't it, the look on the faces of the
young ones who truly appreciate what it is they see
and hold.

Two weeks ago I was fortunate enough to be loaned a
sample of Apollo rocks for my own exhibition up here
in the Western Isles of UK. A few hundred people came
along and most of the kids at the school saw them too.
I would have liked more to come but sadly advertising
is not allowed until the samples have long gone.
Yet many of the adults were truly awestruck by what
they were holding (albeit encased in lucite), it
having been part of their growing up.

The natural history museum lent me a fist sized iron -
which always got a reaction when I dropped it into
someones hand - a rather tatty pallasite, a lovely
large chondrite slice, polished to perfection with
fusion crust on one side, a Murchison and a Nakhla
(only about 1cm square but still a piece of Mars).

The exhibition was a great sucess, the police were
great over the security arrangements for the week and
it made front page news in the local papers which was
also nice.

My personal thanks must go out to a few people who
allowed me the opportunity to put together my own
collection in the run up. I'm well and truly hooked
now. If only my wife would share my enthusiasm.

So thanks to Greg and Adam Hupe, Michael Cottingham,
Siegfried Haberer and especially Eric Twelker. Without
you guys, the display would have been much less
impressive.

Delighted it went well for you Gary, I understand how
much work is needed, especially with the little ones.

Rob McCafferty

http://www.meteorite-dealers.com/images/comwayel1.jpg

http://www.meteorite-dealers.com/images/comwayel2.jpg

http://www.meteorite-dealers.com/images/comwayel3.jpg