[meteorite-list] Fireball rattles the east coast.

From: Don Merchant <dmerchan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed May 3 00:45:15 2006

Hi List. I was organizing some old papers and came across an article that
brought back memories of something I will never forget. On July 23rd, 2001
(almost 6 years ago) I was jet skiing on Lake Ontario by Rochester N.Y. (I
have lived here my whole life) I was heading dead east about 1/4 mile off
shore. All of a sudden I looked up and see what appears to be a plane
(commercial jet) heading due South in FLAMES!!! I thought this at first
because the Rochester International Airport is south of Lake Ontario. It of
course is daylight out, somewhere around 6 or 7 pm EST. Within several
seconds, I then knew this was something very spectacular and very rare. This
was something that when I was kid of 8 years old and became hooked on the
stars and planets, and asteroids...this was the Holy Grail sort of speak.
This was NOT a plane on fire! This was NOT my neighbor launching a frog
again in a tiny Estes rocket with a "D" size engine! Most surely this was
not Domino's Pizza making a delivery! This was an actual Daylight Fireball!
I waited patiently 33 years to see one. I got an eye full! Supposedly a
corn field in Lycoming County Pennsylvania was searched as witnesses said
flaming debris fell amongst the corn. I read an article on MSN the next day
7/ 24/ 01 What bothered me was that some witnesses outside of N.Y. State saw
this fireball descending West!!?? I know what I saw and I paid very careful
attention to it and the direction because I knew I may never live to see
another. When I first noticed the flames which were green, blue, yellow
orange and red... mostly bright yellow and orange, I was heading east and
looked straight up ahead about 40-45 degrees and this fireball was BRIGHT!!
It was headed due south, if anything the slightest west that I saw. I was
able to follow (about 4 to 6 seconds) until it went out of sight but still
burning bright!! Does anyone remember this? If so, was anything ever found
of this possible fireball turned meteorite? Also...would anyone else like to
share their story if they too have seen a daylight meteor/fireball
Thank you.
Don Merchant